On the trip leading west, heading towards New Hellesund we head out throug Vestergabet and rounds Copper Spike. We go along the countryside to starboard and further out in the archipelago we find New Hellesund. The archipelago of Søgne consists of 1299 islands, islets and reefs and is today a popular place for boaters in the summertime.

One of the most wonderful sights in New Hellesund, might be Olav Sundet. Who, if you believe the ledgend, was formed when St. Olaf himself was out on a boat tour, were he was persecuted by Egdehøvdinger. The ledgend says that they believed to have gotten him into a trap when he suddenly crashed strait into the mountin. The legend tells that the mountains were opened, and that the king sailed right through the island. This is the tale of how Olav Sundet was made.The facial profile of St. Olaf were carved into the mountain and beside his face there are also his royal monogram ingraved. When the weather is nice, we drive through Olav Sundet. 

Many famous painters have found their motives here, most notably is "Morning in New Hellesund" as it was painted in 1885 by Amaldus Nielsen. The painting hangs today in the National Gallery. New Hellesund was also the summer resort of a true famous southern poet named William Krag- among others, he wrote the story of Maarten and Silius.

The old Royal- inn was built over 400 years ago, and King Christian IV repeatedly stayed here. In this inn there is a limb in middle of the floor that is claimed to be used to bring in contraband, so a smaller boat could rest under the pier and house. The limb was also used to get rid of unwanted people. Although everyone knew that he had lived there, it has always been said that the person had been drifted in from the sea. He was then buried in the old chapel that there are remnants of here, this is why the island is named the Kapelløya (Chappel Island.),

At Helgøya we go ashore and visit the costal fort which was made by the Germans during the occupation from 1940 to 1945. The fort is unique and is definitely worth a visit. The purpose of the facility was to block off Høllefjorden, and keep it closed against allied invasion to help protect all coastal traffic and the western entrance into Kristiansand. About 150 Germans manned the fort with four 10,5 cm coastal artillery guns with a range of approximately 12 km, machine guns, mortars, flamethrowers, machine guns and machine guns, and moreover, there were radars, spotlights and smoke systems. In the area there were 31 wooden buildings and 26 bulletproof stone bunkers. The fort was abandoned in 1945. All buildings were demolished and the equipment was removed, so that plants could attempt to erase the period up to the 1970s. In 1987, the defense of Historical Society for the Kristiansand Region started the restoration of the plant. Amongst others are more then 10, 5 cm M/13 Schneider guns in place. Defense Jobs, trenches and tunnels in the area were secured and rectified, so that the area today is available for the public. The tour lasts approximately 3.5 hours.

Foto: Vidar Moløkken Frittfallfoto.no